Where is a Portable Trus-T-Lift™ VPL applicable?
Although a portable vertical platform lift is not governed by any specific safety code (to our knowledge at the time of writing) they do exist and, in the opinion of RAM, they fill a need for some applications where a permanent solution is not really practical or required. In many cases these applications are indeed for public/ commercial uses rather than private residential uses.
RAM continuously tries to ensure safe use of our products and the following points should be considered when evaluating whether a portable Trus-T-Lift™ is a good fit for your application.
- A portable unit can only be used in circumstances where the travel height required is less than 52in. We limit it this way as we feel this is an acceptable range to ensure stability with the load at the elevated position.
- The minimum travel height a Portable Trus-T-Lift™ can be used for is 24in. This is due to the upper toe plate ramp extension being automatic so that a user can get off easily at the top landing. Standard Trus-T-Lift™ units for permanent installation can have travels as small as 4in.
- The load you can lift is limited to 550lb capacity. Again, this is for stability and safety even though the portable design contains components that are rated to a working capacity of 750lb and tested to far more than that.
- The intended use is for the lift to be move in place for a specific need or event and returned to storage after that use, it is not intended to have the lift sit in one place for an extended period of time.
- You should not simply be looking for a way to avoid paying for permits, inspections, and other related costs for a commercial lift that will stay in one place for long periods.
Examples of cases where a portable Trus-T-Lift™ makes sense (from our perspective) are:
- School, Church and community center gyms/ stage environments where they have limited space and only expect to use the lift a few times a year and then frequently store it while the space is used for other purposes
- Temporary structures at banquet halls where a stage structure is not a permanent fixture
- Buildings where several locations may be required (still on an infrequent basis) and they do not want to install several lifts but simply roll the portable out of storage to the required location when needed
In Addition, the Portable Trus-T-Lift™ can be equipped with as many safety features as required by any local authority and RAM counsels anyone who is intending to use this lift that they should check with local authorities prior to purchase to ensure they are not going to encounter resistance.
At the end of the day, RAM is sincerely trying to help people with mobility challenges by providing innovative products and we believe the Portable Trus-T-Lift™ represents a good solution to an accessibility problem in some circumstances.